Equality and Diversity
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Torpoint Nursery and Infant School is firmly committed to Equality and Diversity. This is reflected in our mission statement:
“Where each child is special and every child matters”.
We strive to ensure our school is an inclusive and accepting environment where difference, of all kinds, is recognised and valued. We will ensure that every pupil irrespective of race, disability, gender, religion and belief or sexual orientation is able to achieve high standards and that strategies are in place to tackle under–achievement. We have a statutory obligation to promote the integration and valuing of all groups of people as well as actively responding to incidents of discrimination and prejudice wherever they may appear.
We also respect the equal rights of our staff, other members of the school community and visitors to our school. Our intention is to ensure that the adults working or volunteering in our school include where possible a gender mix, appropriate representation of diverse ethnic groups and disabled people. We believe that this will provide good role models for pupils from all backgrounds and puts into practice our understanding that we recognise the unique position of schools to promote acceptance and understanding within the wider community.
In order to further support pupils, raise standards and ensure inclusive teaching, we have set the following objectives for 2020-2021:-
- To monitor and analyse pupil achievement termly by race, gender and disability and act on any trends or patterns in the data that require additional support for pupils.
- To continue to raise levels of attainment for all groups of pupils