Annual Governance Statement 2017-2018
The three core strategic functions of our Governing Body are:
- To monitor and uphold the vision, ethos and strategic direction of the school
- To act as a critical friend supporting the Head Teacher, to ensure optimal educational performance of the school
- To oversee the management of the financial resources of the school ensuring a balanced budget within current financial regulations.
The Full Governing Body meets four times annually.
There are also three committees which meet termly: Finance, Personnel and Management, Health and Safety/Buildings and Sites, Curriculum and Standards. We also have committees that meet if required to consider pupil discipline and staffing matters.
Minutes of Governing Body and Committee meetings are public documents and are available from the school office.
The total number of governors is 11. The Governing Body consists of 2 parent governors, 2 staff governors (including the Head Teacher), a Local Authority governor and 6 co-opted governors. The term of office of all governors is four years. The current Instrument of Government came into effect in September 2017 and was amended by Cornwall Children’s Services Authority.
The SMILE curriculum is utilised to ensure that our children make exceptional progress and achieve attainment above national averages in all subjects.
Key Activities for the Governing Body:
- Focussing on ensuring each and every child makes the greatest possible progress
- Monitoring and appraising the use of Pupil Premium and PE and sport premium measuring its impact on pupil outcomes
- Conducting the performance management and objective setting for the Head Teacher
- Attending school regularly to undertake subject monitoring visits in accordance with the Governor Timetable, challenging the Headteacher and subject leaders by asking probing and thoughtful questions
- Ensuring the school remains a safe environment for all children, staff, parents and the wider school community. Any Safeguarding concerns should be reported to the Head Teacher or the nominated Governor for Safeguarding (Mrs Camilla Southworth and Mrs Ellie Hall)
- Reviewing and agreeing school policies in accordance with the rolling programme.
- Conduct self-evaluation of the effectiveness of the Governing Body considering the challenges ahead
- Carry out a skills audit to ensure key roles can be fulfilled
- Continue to ensure governors attendance at training which is specific, relevant and current.
Contacting the Governing Body
The Governing Body welcomes suggestions, ideas and feedback from parents. The school operates an open door policy and Mrs Carney-Haworth is always available to talk to parents. If you wish to get in touch with the Governing Body then please do so via the school office.